Sunday, July 1, 2012

A Bit of News...

My term with Basically Bare has finished up and I wanted to share with you all my last project with them!

This time instead of a layout I altered a canvas! I had a great deal of fun making this because I got to pull out and work with a bunch of different mediums!


I started by tearing old patterned papers and mod podging them to the canvas. Over that, well, what didn't I apply? Gesso, paints, mists, india ink and stamps to desired effect :) 




Next I got tree branches and covered them with mod podge...they were very dry (from another project) and I wanted them to be less brittle. I colored the canvas leaves from Basically Bare and attached them to the branches. 




I used Basically Bare's Happy Little House set for the bird houses...aren't they cute? They're covered in woodgrain paper and accented with some Distress Embossing powder.

Now for the occupants of the houses...the blue birds are made of felt and the yellow bird, chipboard. I was trying to think of a way to color the felt without using fabric markers. That's when I remembered my Pearl Ex powders...I love the gorgeous colors and soft shimmer of the mica powder! One slight problem, they have no binder in them so if I just put them on the birds, eventually most of the powder would wipe away. So I mixed a small mist bottle with Gum Arabic (a binder) and water and sprayed the birdies with it. Next I applied the blue powder by "pouncing" with the brush....it worked! I will have blue birds for a long time to come:)  The yellow bird I painted with my Zig paint marker and before it could dry, covered it with yellow Pearl Ex. 

Well I hope you enjoyed reading this post as much as I enjoyed making this canvas! Thank you for all your visits! 

11 comments:

  1. I love your altered canvas and how you used little branches for your birds. It turned out beautiful :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous canvas, those branches are so neat!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS!!! What beautiful details, colors, design! Wow!

    Hope you have a lovely week!

    Hugs,
    HL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd say you are the "medium" who channels amazing art!! Love that background and all the fantastic elements you created!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww....your canvas is sooooo cute! I love the colours and the dimensions Miae! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sad to see you go Miae, but I will always check out your blog, and see beautiful work like this canvas, oh such an inspiration, gorgeous colors too, I made a canvas too and posted on my blog today, but i need more practice! You are a pro!

    Hugs! Frank

    ReplyDelete
  7. so cool! I love the idea of the real branches. This is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a gorgeous artwork!!! I really love your background!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous! Love the branches and the textures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE this project!!! and i adore how you make you nest with this and that! totally roks!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments and visits are always appreciated!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...